Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The R.O.I. Of Relationships

from the desk of Ron Sukenick

It's interesting what happens sometimes when I'm talking to a group about networking and about setting in place a system for building relationships with other people. Someone in the audience will approach me after the talk, or perhaps send me an email, explaining that, while they "get" my message, they simply don't have time in their schedule for deeper relationships in business. They have to keep up their sales quotas, they say, and work on their proposals and projects, handle oceans of email, meet with their accountants, and do whatever else it is they have to do.

So, when they attend a networking event, their goal is to gain exposure to as many different businesspeople as possible, and then, quickly as they can, figure out the one or two people that are in a position to do business with them now. They like the idea of "speed networking", and the speedier, the better as far as they're concerned. Long-term interactions with businesspeople with whom they can form a relationship, they're afraid, constitute a luxury they can ill afford.

Sometimes those same people talk to me about the problems in our economy. In addition to all their normal business challenges, they complain, they have to keep moving quickly (even if that means having shallower relationships, some add) if they're to survive the credit crunch, downsizing, and everything else going on.

When I hear statements such as these from members of my audience, I don't get defensive or angry. As many years as I've devoted to teaching and coaching about networking, it took me years to realize and accept the simple fact that we can help and be helped only when we invest the time to know more about other business people on a deeper level. I use that word "invest" on purpose, because that's exactly what it is, an investment. We make that investment of time, effort, purposeful listening, and helping for a reason. Just as with any financial investment or real estate investment, we do it in order to increase our ROI, our return on investment.

When people finally do "get my message", they realize that taking time to interact at least six times from the time they first meet a new business contact isn't detracting from their business, it is what will build their business! Make no mistake - going beyond just attending networking meetings to creating connections and cultivating relationships is not only personally rewarding - it's very, very good business!

No comments: