Friday, January 2, 2009

Don't Worry About Keeping Them Close - Keep Them Close To YOU!

from the desk of Ron Sukenick


What do you know? The Brazilians have produced a modern version of the chastity belt, a lingerie line with a GPS tracking device called "Find Me If You Can". For me as a business coach, networking expert, and behavior consultant - well, as you might imagine, this little news item about GPS underwear offers more food for thought than I can digest in one sitting!

Since I'm always interested in business, I must say "Find Me If You Can" wins the marketing prize because of all the attention it attracted, even though much of the attention was negative. In my next blog, I want to talk about attracting attention to your business in positive ways.

From a relationship point of view, I was especially interested in Konrad Marshall's remarks in the last paragraph of the article. "If she's such a beautiful bird", he asks, "why not set her free?" I think he meant that relationships can't be forced, as I emphasize in my book "The Power Is In The Connection". Both people in any relationship need to find a reward in staying connected. Marshall's advice to the suspicious:" Don't worry about keeping her close. Work a little harder at keeping her close to you."

One of the things I talked about In my earlier blog, Shed To Stay Alive, is the way relationships tend to ebb and flow, and how they're always moving and changing. Sometimes, we need to be able to let go, at least for now. Of course, by using purposeful listening and committing ourselves to "be in the moment" with other people, we can work at keeping them close to us. But, in the final analysis, if it's not right for that other person to be close to us right now, even to do business with us now, we need to "set them free".

Who knows? Later, that person might re-enter our business or personal life. Meanwhile, we need to concentrate on the fascinating and ongoing task of finding - ourselves!

No comments: